...

Fashion Instinct Model Management

Monday, August 29, 2016

Rihanna Accepted the 2016 Video Vanguard Music Award From Drake at the V.M.A.s

Rihanna took home the MTV Video Vanguard Award at the V.M.A.s tonight, and her good friend and collaborator Drake was there to present it to her. In his introduction, he said, “She succeeds by doing something that no one in this industry does, which is being herself.”

He wrapped up with “She's someone I’ve been in love with since I was 22 years old” to which Rihanna rolled her eyes. Then he tried to kiss her and got cheek.

For her part, Rihanna said, "This is such an amazing night, it’s such an amazing moment in my career. When I think about the Vanguard Award and receiving this tonight, all I could think about was my country. They’re gonna be so proud. This is the first Vanguard to land anywhere close to my country. My success, it started as my dream; but now my success is not my own. It’s my family’s, my fan’s. It’s my country's; it’s the Caribbean as a whole. It’s women’s; it's black women ... so many people feel like their little piece is such a major part of this puzzle, and I have to thank you guys for supporting me over and over."

The audience was treated to a freshman year syllabus course on Rihanna’s oeuvre played out over four performances throughout the night. She opened with “Please Don't Stop the Music,” “Only Girl,” “We Found Love,” and “Where Have You Been,” while wearing a Hood By Air tee, chaps with butt flaps, and what appeared to be furry crocs. The stage design was by Jigglypuff.
At 28, Rihanna is the second-youngest recipient of the award—which celebrates an artist’s video career—after Janet Jackson, and she follows Kanye West’s win last year. Ye used his time at the podium to announce his 2020 presidential election bid. Britney Spears, Madonna, BeyoncĂ©, Justin Timberlake, David Bowie, and Michael Jackson have each been honored in the past.

And now we raise our glasses of wine, which we have no matter where we are or what the open container laws are, to Rih.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a story for FashionUncutMedia? Email us at tips@thefashionuncutmedia or call 090922541902