...

Fashion Instinct Model Management

Monday, August 1, 2016

Why I’m facing persecution –Ekweremadu

DEPUTY Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, has again reinstated his innocence over the charges of forg­ery of the Senate Standing Rules brought against him by the Federal Govern­ment, stressing that his only offence is his emer­gence as the Deputy Presi­dent of the Senate against the wishes of the “powers that be.”

Speaking when members of Enugu State Economic Advisory Committee paid a solidarity visit to him at his residence in Enugu, Ekwer­emadu said his hands were clean.


Ekweremadu, who is also a member of the high-pow­ered Economic Advisory Committee set up by Gov­ernor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, re­iterated his commitment to the principles of separation of power, independence of the legislature and growth of the nation’s democracy.

“I am indeed humbled by your solidarity. As they say, the true test of a man is not where he stands in the time of comfort; it is where he stands when there is crisis. Many people may not take this step of faith because of the situation we found our­selves in the country; some may be afraid of their lib­erty and afraid of any repri­sals. But you have stepped out to come and show soli­darity and ask questions in a matter concerning one of your sons.

“Let me start by saying that I reinstate my inno­cence; that I committed no offence or forged any documents; and non of the accused persons, to the best of my knowledge, commit­ted any offence, let alone forging any document. Let me also say that no sena­tor accused me, President of the Senate or the other people of committing any offence. No senator or bu­reaucrat accused us of forg­ing any document.

“Again, as a lawyer, I know what is called proof of evidence, that is the statement of witnesses who are going to confront you with the offence for which you are being charged.

“I was served, and I have read this document (court process) from the first page to the last page; no wit­ness said any of us com­mitted any offence. Our only offence is that Senator Bukola Saraki and myself emerged as President of the Senate and Deputy Presi­dent of the Senate. Some people found it unaccept­able, and that is why we are being charged, not that we committed any offence,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a story for FashionUncutMedia? Email us at tips@thefashionuncutmedia or call 090922541902