Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Mikel Obi reveals Conte’s role in new deal for Terry

John Mikel Obi, has said that new Chelsea manager, Antonio Conte, played an important part in the club handing John Terry a new one-year deal.
Terry had initially said he was leaving Stamford Bridge at the end of last season and was linked with moves to the Major League Soccer and China.

However, the 35-year-old signed a new contract, after a meeting with director Marina Granovskaia and chairman Bruce Buck in May.

“I think Conte played a big part in that contract that JT got,” Mikel told Goal.

“I think if JT said no, then obviously I don’t think the club would have done that, but I think the fans as well got right behind JT and the fans really wanted him to stay.

“He is the leader, he is the captain and the fans really think with JT we have a better chance of winning the trophy again. I think everyone came together the fans, Antonio and the board did a massive job to make sure that John stays.”

Terry started all of Chelsea’s first four Premier League fixtures, before he strained his ankle ligaments in a 2-2 draw at Swansea earlier this month.


In his absence, the Blues have let in seven goals in their last three games.

Mikel Obi says it shows how crucial their captain is to the team.

“Obviously the manager still thinks that he can offer him quite a lot,” he added added.

“And you can see he has played some games now and he has played really well so, at his age, I think he is still playing really really well so I don’t think anyone can say it was the wrong choice to give him the contract.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a story for FashionUncutMedia? Email us at tips@thefashionuncutmedia or call 090922541902